Monday, November 3, 2014

Rock and Roll Denver Complete!

This post is about two weeks late, but I wanted to wait for the official pictures to arrive and I wanted a little time to recover and process.

Two weeks ago, I completed my first half marathon! It was an amazing experience and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! I did not train as well as I had planned, but I still got out there and finished that race.


I was nervous/excited/scared and a million other emotions the night before and the morning of the race. I didn't know if I could do it and I was terrified that I would get scooped up by the "sag wagon" (as it is called by the rock and roll series) because I was going to slow. Well, good news: I didn't get scooped up for going to slow, I wasn't the last person across the finish line, and I crossed that finish!!!


I felt pretty great for most of the race. I made a few friends to chat with along the way, and that really made the time pass. It was a very pretty course, I got to see lots of Denver and I was feeling good the first 10 miles. Then I hit that "magical" wall. You know the one, where you feel like you want to cry, crawl or just quit.


I was hating the race and questioning why I subjected myself to this for about two miles. Then it hit me that I was only about a mile away from the finish line! I knew I could push it out and make it there. I ran to the finish, crossed that line and had that medal placed around my neck! It felt so awesome!


When all was said and done, I was thrilled that I did it. I was riding that runners high for about a week after the race. We have even decided that we are going to do a few more Rock and Roll races in 2015 and I cannot wait!

If you have thought about doing a Rock and Roll race, I say do it! They are a blast and maybe we will run into each other at one!


1 comment: