Thursday, March 27, 2014

Meatloaf Wednesday!

Today I want to share one of my favorite recipes with you! My mom bought me the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook a while back and it does have some great recipes. We used to watch Biggest Loser all the time and the recipes in the book are from the contestants on the show.

One of my favorite in the book is the Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf. I have made some changes to fit what we like and I also double what the recipe says that way there are leftovers for lunches.

Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf(my way):

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Old-Fashioned Oats
1 cup fat free milk
5 tbsp buffalo wing sauce (or more to taste) - I use Frank's Red Hot
2 lbs ground turkey
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
4 large egg whites
1/2 tsp salt
5 oz crumbled reduced-fat blue cheese
Olive oil spray

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray two loaf pans with olive oil spray
2. Mix together the milk and oats, allow to sit for 3-5 minutes (until the oats start to get soft)
3. Add wing sauce to milk and oats mixture, stir together
4. Combine oats/milk/wing sauce mixture with ground turkey, celery, onion, egg whites and salt and mix
5. Add blue cheese and gently mix
6. Evenly distribute mixture between the two loaf pans (should be about 3/4 of the way full)
7. Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes
8. Remove and cut each loaf into 8 pieces and serve

Once the meatloaf is done, I usually cut two or three pieces per person. I then top with a little extra buffalo wing sauce or reduced-fat ranch (per the persons preference). Serve it with a side of sweet potatoes, salad or rice.

I used to make this every Wednesday, hence Meatloaf Wednesday!, but I hadn't made it in about two months. Last night I made it and it was delicious. I cannot wait to have some leftovers for lunch today!

Do you have any favorite weekly dishes? Hope you have a great day friends!


1 comment: