Friday, October 4, 2013

Only Two Days Left!

Holy cow, I only have two more days until the Spirit of Survival, my first quarter marathon! I know 6.55 miles may not be much for some people, but for me, this is a BIG deal. I have done 5ks and a 4-miler, but I have never done a race over that. I am also so excited because it could not be for a better cause.

The Spirit of Survival is an annual race here in Lawton, Oklahoma. I have been looking forward to this race since before we moved here a few months ago. The Spirit of Survival helps raise money for the Southwest Oklahoma Cancer Centers, which is made up of three hospitals: Comanche County Memorial Hospital in Lawton, Duncan Regional in Duncan and Jackson County Memorial in Altus. This race has a special place in my heart as many people in my family, including both of my parents, have had cancer. Luckily, with the work of wonderful doctors, both of my parents are now cancer free! 


The training group that we have been a part of for the last 12 weeks is put on by the Spirit of Survival and tomorrow will be out last group. It has been an awesome 12 weeks and I hope I see some of my training buddies on the road in the future or even at some other upcoming local races. 

If you are in the area, you can still sign up! There are tons of different events for everyone! There is the Hulkin' Half Marathon (what Andy is completing), the Quick Silver Quarter Marathon (what I am doing), the Superhero 5k, the Superhero Kids Marathon, and the Leah M Fitch Spirit Walk. You cannot sign up online anymore, but in-person registration goes until tomorrow! Get out there, have a blast and raise some money for a wonderful cause! I will be sure to give you a race recap early next week, wish me luck to make it across that finish line and hope you have a great weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. You are going to do amazing!!! So proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jen! You are an inspiration to me for sure :)

      Delete